Thursday, March 26, 2009

distance

I was just reminded of the distance I've placed between myself and myfamily when I was talking to my parents and grandmother yesterday. Gramma had just arrived in Missouri so even though my niece was a whopping 2 and a half weeks old, it felt new to me and I asked her how she was doing as a Great Gramma. It broke my heart when she said, "well Katie, you know I'm nowa Great Gramma four times." I had completely forgotten that 3 of my cousins have had babies in the last few years. I've seen pictures and if you ask me I can think really hard and get their husbands and kids names, but as the oldest is coming up on 3 years, I've only met themthrough pictures... and its obviously not enough. I still remember us as we were back in high school, 4 girl cousins within 2 years, and more around not too much older. The last time I saw a large piece of my mom's side of the family was a wedding about 3 years ago, for 2days and I remember being in a hotel room between activities. I've seen even less of my dad's side of the family, lots of in-and-outs. I've put in to go to Europe so I can be closer to some of my family, but I didn't visit those who were in the US with me unless there was some event scheduled, and even then I think we didn't want to burden or interrupt each other. Anyway, some things are the way they are (like me talking to my parents twice a month instead of daily, or my inability to write thank you notes within a year of receiving the gift), but its something I'm thinking more about and I know I need to find the time to spend more physical time with my family, not just peek in on them via email/phone chats every once in a while. I want to know my niece and sister-in-law and brother and parents from more than just pictures and old old memories!

No comments: